One of the biggest challenges I hear from marketing consultants is they’re getting stuck doing execution work instead of advising.
Managed advisory/fractional CMO services are a great way to ease into advisory work. In the short-term, it can be an exciting and highly profitable line of work.
But if you don’t manage to shift into pure advisory work, it will soon create a lot of unnecessary stress and it will hold you back from growing your business.
In this episode, I break down the five biggest problems (and the sub-variations thereof) with doing execution work as a marketing consultant.
- Lack of time to learn, market yourself, and work on your business
- Becoming an order-taker vs. being seen as an advisor
- Being out of alignment with your clients’ interests
- Feeling stressed, overwhelmed, and scatter-brained
- No ability to scale your offerings and grow your business
This was a longer episode than usual, so I’ll talk about how to break free from execution in a future episode. I’ll also cover the significant upsides it creates for both you and your clients.
Execution is by far the most time and energy intensive thing you do, but is much lower value than you may think.
I’ll get into all that and more in future episodes. For now, give this a listen and let me know if you relate.