As far as I can tell, there are only five kinds of content:
- Education: teach people something
- Entertainment: create an experience people enjoy
- Stories: talk about someone or something that happened
- Curation: find neat things and bring it to people
- A blend of multiple: infusing multiple kinds of these into one
I tend to focus on education, with a few stories and the occasional curation piece built in.
But if I’m honest, that’s not the best plan to use. It’s just my default.
The best content strategy uses a healthy mix of all of these content categories.
Sometimes we want junk food, sometimes we want the main course. If you give people too much of the same thing, they get bored.
See if the above categories work for you as a prompt to keep your next content piece fresh.
This one was an “education” piece, but I’ll switch it up tomorrow and mix some more together.
Until next time!