There’s a good chance you’ll run out of energy today before you run out of time to get everything done.
And because of that, we need to manage our energy as or more closely than our time.
The better you do that, the more successful you’ll be.
So how do you manage your energy so you don’t deplete yourself and stunt your growth?
We’ll start with the obvious ones:
- We know good sleep is important. If you can get eight hours with no alcohol in your system, you’re golden. Nap if and when you need to as well.
- Exercise also helps—a LOT. I aim for 20 minutes per day which usually turns into 40 minutes once I get going. Big energy boosts and mental clarity.
- Diet is critical. I try to avoid a lot of carbs that might spike and then crash my blood sugar during the day. I also avoid big meals before dinner if I can.
- Meditation helps a lot. Using the Calm app for 20 minutes a day can give you a massive boost to your energy and focus.
These are the obvious ones (but important to work on).
So what else can you do in your businesses specifically to manage and enhance our energy?
For me, these are the big ones.
- Remove toxic clients. They’ll drain your energy, cause you stress, and reduce your ability to focus on the things that matter most. Stress is an energy drain that costs you money.
- Do work that lights you up. If you can find a way to spend most of your time doing work that actually gives you energy, you’ll be a lot more productive. That’s a choice you can make.
- Hire support. The more you can offload admin support and task work, the more time and energy you will have to do the work that matters most. Outsource the stuff you do often that anyone can do.
- Work with fewer clients. Sure, you might want to be booked completely solid, but without margin in your day, you’ll burn out. Doing higher value work for fewer clients frees up your time to create assets you can sell at scale and the bandwidth to do your own marketing. Don’t over-book your client work.
- Leave time to tinker. You’ll be a better consultant and human if you give yourself time to explore your interests, both professional and personal. Keep tinkering, learning, and exploring in your calendar.
Those are my biggest tips to help you gain more energy and be more productive.
So what’s your biggest tip for maximizing your energy and getting more done?
Hit reply and let me know!