Running a successful expertise-based business requires having space in your calendar.
Here are some reasons why:
- You can’t learn if you don’t have time to explore, read, and get educated.
- You can’t produce good ideas if you don’t have time to learn, think, and apply yourself.
- You can’t get organized if you don’t have downtime to clean up your desk and improve your processes.
- You can’t innovate if you don’t have time to tinker and explore your ideas.
- You can’t over-deliver without reserving time to adjust for unforeseen challenges that inevitably arise.
- You can’t earn top dollar without the aforementioned pieces built into your routine.
If you want to run a business around your expertise, you need time to breathe, think, and innovate.
I try to keep about 40 to 50% of my days open to do these things and market myself.
I’ve designed my business well enough to reserve that time and earn a healthy living in the process. It’s possible, you just need to prioritize it.
Otherwise, you’ll burn out and your clients will never be as happy as they could be.