A few weeks ago, I invited Mindshare member and long-time marketing consultant, Mark Evans, to talk shop with me about the business of marketing consulting and fractional CMO work.
This was a really fun episode. We went deep into the nerdy nuances of fractional/interim CMO and advisory work.
Some topics we explored include:
- Mark’s transition from reporter to marketing consultant
- How he uses his training as a reporter to do positioning and messaging work
- The challenges and frustrations of fractional CMO work
- Why a strategic advisory work is his preferred way to engage with clients
- His thoughts on coaching, mentoring, and training in-house marketers
- The value proposition of interim CMO vs. fractional CMO
- Pricing and value calculations for advisors vs. fCMOs
- Refund policies and minimum commitment periods
- Setting expectations and getting clear on goals before starting engagements
- How and when to turn down clients who aren’t a fit
- The importance of continually marketing yourself
- Using video, podcasts, and showing up in person to build trust
- The Inside Advantage by Robert Bloom and Dave Conti
- Don’t Make Me Think by Steve Krug
- Rocket Surgery Made Easy by Steve Krug
Connect with Mark:
- Marketing Spark (consulting website)
Listen here or subscribe via your podcast player.
P.S. Looking to grow your marketing practice? Mindshare has you covered.