Sell your ideas, not your hands.
The Mentorship is a private podcast and community helping current and aspiring marketing coaches, consultants, and educators to package and sell their expertise—not just hours or deliverables.
There’s nothing wrong with freelancing. It’s a right of passage.
But eventually you’ll get busy. You’ll have more work than you can handle.
And you’ll need to make a choice: either turn away business, start an agency, or package and sell your expertise instead of your hands.
You can do any one or combination of these things. Personally, I got tired running a web design and digital marketing agency.
Margins were relatively low at the end of the day and the workload was exhausting.
So I eventually decided to take the latter route: sell my expertise instead of my hands.
The result? I feel less stressed, deliver better work, and I get to do what I do best.
Today, my business has completely transitioned into selling advisory services, group coaching programs, memberships, and other forms of online education.
This group is for people who want to branch into or excel at similar kind of work. Who want to create leverage around their expertise. To build a business on it.
In this Mentorship group, I go deep exploring the topic of selling one’s expertise instead of their labor. Creating scale and leverage around your unique expertise.
I also share behind the scenes of my consulting work today and facilitate discussion among members of the group (who are also marketing experts, for the most part).
Like any good advisor, I serve as a mentor, coach, and facilitator to the members of this group. But we also mentor each other, give feedback, share wins, make connections, and collaborate.
I started speaking to Kevin approximately 2 months ago, and in those 2 months, I’ve learnt more about marketing than I did at 4 years of college and one year in an agency.
—David J., Agency Employee & Aspiring Consultant
My wish for you…
My goal is to help you go from being an interchangeable supplier to trusted advisor, educator, and advocate to your clients.
The Mentorship covers topics like:
- Finding and growing into a niche to make you a “category of one”
- Productizing your services to create repeatable results
- Selling and delivering group coaching and membership programs
- Selling strategic advisory services instead of implementation
- Packaging and selling your expertise as digital products
- Content marketing strategies that drive opportunities to you
- Pricing your work in alignment with the value you create
- Delivering a remarkable client experience with every engagement
At the end of the day, I want to help you package and sell your expertise, not just your labor, so you can create scale and separate your earning from your effort.
I want you to focus on getting business results for your clients, not hours, inputs, deliverables, or tasks. Big-picture strategic thinking that instills trust in your clients from the first moment you speak to them.
Most importantly, I want you to enjoy what you do, feel less stressed and overwhelmed, earn a better living, and feel more confident in the decisions you’re making.
Through your Mentorship subscription, you’ve opened my eyes to new and exciting possibilities that have already helped me identify an area of expertise to package and sell to clients.
—Barb H, Consultant
What’s it like inside the Mentorship?
When you’re an insider, you get the resources and the social support you need for successfully transforming your independent practice, including:
Get the the tools, templates, and document examples that I use in my business every day, including my proposal template, onboarding questionnaire, and every CEO’s favorite KPI dashboard template.
Direct and practical answers
Have questions? You’ll get answers from me and from fellow Mentorship members who speak from experience.
Private audio lessons (delivered via private podcast feed), quick blog posts, video tutorials—all delivered in brief, digestible pieces that are easy to consume—and even easier to act upon.
Collective wisdom and support
Get access to a private community where you’ll find guidance, friendship, and mutual support from successful marketers like you.
For a fraction of what you pay for coffee every week—just $10/month—you get all the content and community that the Mentorship has to offer.
No risk, 100% money-back guarantee
If we’re not a good fit, I don’t want your money. If you’re unsatisfied for any reason after the first 30 days, I’ll refund your first payment.
Better yet, you won’t get charged until the first of next month, which means your first immersion in the Mentorship is free!
The Mentorship is a goldmine of digestible nuggets of real-world insight from somebody who’s earned his stripes in the marketing world.
Most importantly, I’ve made new business connections through Kevin’s Mentorship community and have been able to ask, and get direct, tailored responses, to questions and challenges I deal with in the day-to-day operation of my business.
I couldn’t recommend this enough as a professional investment.
—Taylor M., Copywriter
Members-Only Audio Lessons
- 55. Should you do hourly advisory work?
- 54. How to handle client confidentiality
- 53. What is the difference between group coaching and this Patreon model?
- 52. How to create a low-tier consulting offer that works for everybody
- 51. Why you should benchmark your KPIs at the start of each engagement
- 50. The value of note-taking in client engagements (and how I do it)
- 49. How to get paid in advance for your work
- 48. The benefits of transparent pricing for your consulting services
- 47. How to establish a budget for price-sensitive clients
- 46. Should you decrease your price after the initial term if the bulk of the work and value is delivered?
- 45. How to handle prospects who want to negotiate
- 44. The two main things I look for when auditing a client website
- 43. How to get clients from around the world by specializing
- 42. Q&A Call Recording – September 2020
- 41. Nine membership platform options to consider building your community on
- 40. How to help your clients get into the membership model
- 39. How to prove ROI with your marketing (with my KPI Spreadsheet Template)
- 38. How to onboard clients (and why it’s so important)
- 37. How to differentiate and create engagement for your membership program
- 36. How I started a membership program for my consultancy
- 35. How to know if a specific niche can sustain your business
- 34. How do you know if your prices are too high or low?
- 33. How to use testimonials in your marketing
- 32. Why you need to slow your clients down
- 31. Study a day in the life of your clients’ best customers
- 30. Know your clients’ customers better than they do
- 29. A dead-simple marketing strategy for a hair salon
- 28. The #1 thing to focus on during (and after) the sales process
- 27. How to create highly compelling productized services
- 26. Why you shouldn’t hire me
- 25. T-shaped expertise: why you don’t need to be an expert at everything
- 24. Advise your clients like you would your family
- 23. How writers fit into a greater marketing strategy
- 22. How to handle out-of-scope implementation work
- 21. How to sell advisory retainers
- 20. How to choose an industry niche
- 19. Specialization, systemization, and productization
- 18. How to get started as an independent marketing freelancer or consultant
- 17. Should you do outreach to get clients?
- 16. The difference between subscription, membership, and group coaching business models
- 15. A behind the scenes look at my revenue breakdown
- 14. What a sushi chef taught me about premium positioning
- 13. How it feels to buy trustworthy advice—part 3
- 12. Two ways to transition from selling implementation to selling advice
- 11. How it feels to buy trustworthy advice—part 2
- 10. How to sell on value and avoid commoditization
- 9. How it feels to buy trustworthy advice—part 1
- 8. How to land any kind of client you want
- 7. Why going two levels deep is the counter-intuitive secret to marketing
- 6. An unusually effective way to proofread your writing
- 5. How clients feel when you sell advice AND implementation
- 4. The difference between “fiduciary” vs. “suitability” advice (and which kind clients really want)
- 3. Minimalist mic and software setup for great audio on the road
- 2. How to transition from selling implementation to advice
- 1. How to get hired by strangers
More words from happy subscribers…
I started speaking to Kevin approximately 2 months ago, and in those 2 months, I’ve learnt more about marketing than I did at 4 years of college and one year in an agency. I cannot recommend enough this service. Kevin’s analytical thinking and skin in the game from having done it before are a welcome introduction to anyone looking to break into marketing. He knows what works, what doesn’t, and there’s always a why behind advice or thoughts.
—David J., Agency Employee & Aspiring Consultant
When I first approached you with what I thought was a simple inquiry, I had no idea it would lead to such thought provoking conversations. Through your Mentorship subscription, you’ve opened my eyes to new and exciting possibilities that have already helped me identify an area of expertise to package and sell to clients. I look forward to each new installment.
—Barb H., Consultant
As an agency owner, I struggle with separating strategy and execution along with being another “me too” agency.
Thanks to Kevin’s invaluable insights, I’ve been able to start that separation of strategy and execution. as a result it has helped build stronger trust between my clients and I, structure more profitable engagements and scale my agency faster.
Between the deeply insightful knowledge and active community of peers, Kevin’s mentorship program has been an excellent investment. I highly recommend signing up and taking advantage of it.
—Jordan C., Agency Owner
Kevin’s mentorship program has already done so much for in the little time that I have joined in regards to getting me to think about my business differently in order for me to grow my revenue.
Kevin’s content is very relevant in helping me grow my business while keeping true to being a one-woman show. He is highly attentive (gets back to me within the same day with a podcast), highly transparent with his advice and business, and highly knowledgable in all areas of marketing. If you’re a marketing consultant I highly suggest working with Kevin and joining one of is his mentorship programs.
—Michelle R., Brand Strategist